Displaying items by tag: pre 1950
Establishing services in 1922, Minnesota Federal Savings & Loan began a 77-year history throughout the state including a prominent location in downtown Minneapolis designed by the Bank Building & Equipment Corporation. A nine-story building was completed in 1949 for bank in an eclectic modern style with Art Deco influence. In 1962, the first skyway in the Minneapolis skyway system was built from the bank to a neighboring building.In 2003-04, the building was renovated into 21 residential condominiums, most featuring decks or terraces provided by the upper floor setbacks. The original exterior design was significantly changed to accommodate the residential use, adding four feet of additional height and the decks and terraces. At the same time, it was renamed Six Quebec. With its new use, it provides one of the few condominium uses in the heart of the Central Business District, has retail and dining on the first and second floor levels, and today has four skyway connections.
See photos on emporis.com.
Terre Haute, Indiana
The Citizens' Trust Company was completed in 1921 and at twelve stories remains as the tallest commercial building in Terre Haute. The grand opening for the $500,000 building took place on November 21, 1921 to large crowds and many festivities. For nearly four decades, the bank building was the tallest between Indianapolis and St. Louis. It was designed by the St. Louis Bank Building & Equipment Corporation and constructed by Hoggson Brothers. The new Citizens’ Trust Company bank featured a dark red brick and limestone exterior with marble hallways, brass teller cages, and second-floor skylights. However, the bank didn’t make it through the Great Depression and reuses have made the building a success ever since the early 1930s. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1983, the building is known today as the Sycamore Building.
See photos on emporis.com.
Designed by the St. Louis Bank Equipment Co. and built by Chicago contractor Hoggson Brothers, the First National Bank of Waukegan was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002. Today it is known as the Waukegan Building.
Local historic district designation nomination.
Elgin, IllinoisArchitect W.G. Knoebel served as lead architect for the St. Louis Bank Building & Equipment Co. for this Art Deco-style landmark. With balanced symmetry for a corner location, there is a prominent first story base and entry that is Classical Revival-influenced. However, the combination of stacked and stepped-back massing, stone sheathing and decorative elements, and multi-paned steel sash windows pull out the feeling of Art Deco prominence. Its style is very similar to that of the South Side National Bank of St. Louis, MO (1928) which has similar massing, form, and materials. The Home National and Trust & Savings Bank was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2002. As late as 2001, the building still employed elevator operators. The building is known today as Elgin Tower.
Photos 1-2, 7: thomas.merton on flickr
Photo 3: Springsun on flickr
Photos 4-5, 10: b24chicago on flickr
Photo 6: architekt2 on flickr
Photos 8-9: Seth Gaines on flickr
Photo 11: James Jordan on flickr
Chicago, IllinoisAt an estimated cost of $300,000, the new home of Talman Savings and Loan was designed by the Bank Building & Equipment Corporation. As shown in renderings, the corner-facing design was to be an Art Moderne landmark with a sign and clock tower above the entry and round drum behind capping the corner entry vestibule. From there, one story wings down both street facades held large expanses of windows divided by metal grids and then intersected with a two-story mass on each side that terminated the building, each also fenestrated with large open expanses of windows divided by metal grids.
However, the actual construction never realized this full potential. The corner entry is capped by an overwhelmingly large solid cube that overhangs a modest, transparent office area. From the entry two one-story wings extend down both streets, but are modest in design and materials. A change in the design process somewhere along the course didn't allow this bank building to reach its full design potential. The current structure is in fair condition and is currently occupied by LaSalle Bank.
Portage, WisconsinAfter the Columbia County Bank failed in 1873, the City Bank moved into its quarters at 202 W. Cook. The bank replaced its building in 1929-1930. As described in the National Register of Historic Places nomination, "The new, two-story building was constructed of Bedford limestone veneer placed on a St. Cloud, granite veneer base. The St. Louis Bank Building & Equipment Company designed and constructed the building. Its Classical design included full length pilasters which rose to its cornice, copper spandrels between the vertically aligned windows, and an entrance gained through copper, double doors. Later detailing replaced the spandrels. Also undergoing alteration, the interior was originally finished with black walnut, Italian Botticino marble, and bronze fixtures."
The City Bank building also included offices and a hall on the upper floor. For example, by 1937, H.B. Rogers law firm moved two offices above the City Bank Building at 202 W. Cook. In 1969, the bank became known as the City Bank and Trust Company. The building is currently operated as First Star Bank.