Displaying items by tag: commissions
Treasure Island, Florida
For the Bank Building & Equipment Corporation's first venture into cooperative housing, they designed and built the Paradise Island Towers, a cooperative apartment building completed in 1963. Situated on 400 feet of Ciega Bay frontage, the eleven-story building was constructed for an estimated $3.5 million. Construction financing was provided by the Federal Housing Authority (FHA project 067-381) and construction performed by the Bank Building & Equipment Corporation.
The company with a distinguished reputation for highly efficient modern design appointed William F. Cann as lead architect for the new building type for the company. In true design/build style, the company decorated and furnished the entire building of 150 one and two-bedroom units. Amenities for Paradise Island Towers included a heated swimming pool, underground parking, private boat marina, community meeting rooms, and central air conditioning. Today units sell for between $156,000 (1 bdrm) and $350,000 (2 bdrm, 2 bath) and the amenities are maintained.
All that is known about this structure is that the six-story building was designed by the Bank Building & Equipment Corporation of America while the contractor was Tuscan Builders Corp.
Buffalo, New York
The Bank Building & Equipment Corporation was hired to design the remodel the interior space for the lobby and loft into conference space with an auditorium and ballroom.
Albany, New YorkHoward Johnson’s became a household name between its founding in 1925 and 1954 as it grew to be the largest franchise restaurant chain in America with 400 locations. Its signature orange roof building design was an architectural hallmark for the family-style food it became successful for in attracting patron’s appetites.
In 1959, company operations were turned over to Johnson’s son, Howard Brennan Johnson. Architect Rufus Nims had recently designed a new modern motel for Howard Johnson’s with a hip roof, wide overhang, large plate glass windows, and no dormers, and the company was likely seeking a way to make the design stand out from the restaurants and earlier motel versions. They hired William F. Cann of the Bank Building & Equipment Corporation to design a new structure to blend with the new motel lodge building, but stand out separately in order to function as a grand welcome station where visitors would check into the motel.
The earliest known A-frame Gate Lodge was likely in New Castle, DE dating from 1958. The Howard Johnson Company began promoting the A-frame design in advertising and literature as early as September 1958 according to U.S. Patent Office records and it was used throughout the 1960s and 70s. Miami Beach's Gate Lodge remained the least altered of the several hundred that were built until it was demolished in July 2006. Today there are no extant, unaltered gate lodges remaining.
See photos of the Albany Gate Lodge (1960) at Howard Johnson’s Motel, one of the few remaining in nearly unaltered condition.
Research credit: Rich Kummerlowe.
See additional examples of the Gate Lodge design for Howard Johnson’s:
By Rich Kummerlowe on Highwayhost:
- Southington, Connecticut (c. 1960)
- Daytona Beach (north), Florida
- Miami Beach, Florida
- Iowa City, Iowa
- Albany, New York (c. 1960 with original drawings)
- Bethlehem-Allentown, Pennsylvania
By Debra Jane on Agilitynut:
Mayville College, now known as Maryville University, is one of the oldest private higher education institutions in Missouri. Joseph Gander, long-time president of the Bank Building & Equipment Corporation, had gained a devout Catholic upbringing from his mother and followed this to become a long-time benefactor of the college. When he was called upon by Reverend Mother Rex, then honorary president of the college in the late 1950s, to help decide what to do with the growing school he led the charge in making the decision to move the entire college further west, out of the city.
Familiar with development, Gander knew what college officials would soon realize, that Maryville had outgrown its existing campus and a new one was needed. Gander had foresight to realize that the growth area in St. Louis over the several decades would be in West County and advised the trustees to get ahead of the growth.
Upon the decision to move to 290 acres in a former rural area in west St. Louis County, the Bank Building & Equipment Corporation designed the new campus and its buildings. Though the college purchased the land in the late 1950s, the dedication did not take place until 1961. Gander had Chief of Design W.A. Sarmiento plan the campus and design all of its initial structures starting in 1958, which included a chapel, dormitories, classrooms, gymnasium, administration building, and auditorium. Standing out from other buildings in this plan was the chapel, with its double Similar to the concept of Victor Lundy's First Unitarian Church of Fairfield County in Westport, CT (1961) these designs were likely evolving at nearly the same time. But where Lundy's church was Shingle style, imagine a cohesive college plan of several modern structures with white roofs, accentuating the modern angles. Instead, the only structure to be built from this amazing conceptual plan was the Administration Building.
The Bank Building & Equipment Corporation redesigned the buildings, and two classroom buildings and a dormitory were eventually built to the new design, completing the campus. These original buildings from the 1961 dedication that were designed by the Bank Building & Equipment Corporation include Gander Hall, Reid Hall, Kernaghan Hall, and Duchesne Hall. Today, Kernaghan and Reid Halls are connected by the Busch Center, which is a more recent construction.
Joseph Gander was a longtime benefactor of Maryville and the owner of Bank Building & Equipment Corporation. Gander Hall was named in his honor, but unfortunately, Joseph Gander died just a few months before the dedication of the building. As all three of the four buildings are different, Gander Hall has a symmetrical design with a prominent three-story, transparent central entrance. Vertical strips of paired windows and panels pierce the stone façade on both sides of the main façade. Each end is capped by panels of marble and includes a thin egress stair tower with a cream brick sheathing and three-story set of windows.
Mary Reid of the Society of the Sacred Heart was very influential at Maryville in the early 20th Century. It was during her administration that Maryville became a four-year college. Reid Hall, similar to Kernaghan Hall, is a two-story, rectangular structure of cream brick with large expanses with alternating ribbons of windows and solid panels. The colored panels are of the blue/green palette commonly used by the Bank Building & Equipment Corporation on many of their structures.
In the early 1920s, Marie Kernaghan began her tenure of more than fifty years as a professor at Maryville. As the first woman to receive a Ph.D. at Saint Louis University, she has always been a role model for Maryville's female students. Kernaghan Hall, similar to Reid Hall, is a two-story, rectangular structure of cream brick with large expanses with alternating ribbons of windows and solid panels. The colored panels are of the blue/green palette commonly used by the Bank Building & Equipment Corporation on many of their structures.
Philippine Duchesne and four other members of the Society of the Sacred Heart came to St. Louis in
1818 at the request of William Louis DuBourg, Bishop of Louisiana and the Floridas. St. Philippine and her fellow sisters are the founders of the celebrated Sacred Heart educational tradition in St. Louis. Duchesne Hall is a two-story, L-shaped, brick building. The three-part windows are mainly paired and spread evenly throughout the facades. The most interesting element to the building is the mix of brick styles including deep red, cream, and variegated patterns on the ends and the first floor, which is not seen on any other Bank Building & Equipment Corporation structure.
Photos #3-16: Ruth Keenoy
Photos #1-2, 17-25: Courtesy W.A. Sarmiento